Countries directly support the EITI in a number of ways:
- Support and promote the EITI in international and multilateral forums.
- Encourage own companies to become EITI supporters.
- Undertake outreach events to promote awareness of the EITI domestically especially with companies and civil society.
- Encourage resource-rich countries, through diplomatic and commercial channels, to implement the EITI.
- Consider providing technical support in resource management to implementing countries with low technical capacity. Where the supporting country is comparatively well placed to provide this assistance, ensure that this technical support is coordinated with other efforts.
- Commit to high standards of transparency in domestic extractive sector.
- Finance the international management of the EITI and the World Bank administered Extractives Global Programmatic Support (EGPS).
With regard to financial flows between extractive industry companies and governments, the Federal Council welcomes greater transparency. For this reason, it actively participates in the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI), and in this way promotes the disclosure of such payments.
Federal Council of Switzerland Commodity Report, 2015